Install Mx2 Firmware and Gapps Gbox Mx2
01/2021 Update (OUT OF DATE BOX and Details):
Note this Box and the Kodi services described below are no longer working properly , this is because
a lot has changed in the 7 years
since the article was written.
as of right at present is has a stable release of 18.9 , this is no longer compatible with these older Android Boxes,
as you need Android v or newer
(this box came with Android iv) .. In adddition most of the plugins peculiarly for dubious content no longer work every bit those services have gone offline.. In a nutshelll this box is no longer viable for Kodi.. You can withal use it to play some Android apps or run older versions.
10/2014 Update (XBMC Gotham update aka Kodi):
Back in April an upgrade to XBMC was announced announced. Gotham (beta) brings a bunch of new capabilities to the XBMC ecosystem, especially native hardware decoding for android devices similar this G-Box , check out the commodity on
Engadget XBMC to better Android playback.
So in August
(the makers of the MX2 Thousand-Box) announced they had new firmware 1.2 which includes XBMC Gotham 13.ii on the 1000-Box MX2. If you have not
definitely upgrade to this version 1.2 firmware
information technology offers tons of fixes and updates plus all the enhancements that came with XBMC Goth. In that location take been other updates since them , but this one is the well-nigh important.
Most recently the XMBC community has indicated it will change the proper noun of the product,
from XBMC to Kodi starting with version 14.0.
Version 14.0 will be very like to 13.2 Gotham and more often than not represent a branding change for the software. Matricom has indicated that shortly after Kodi is officially released information technology volition create a GBox 2 version.
I accept a more recent in-depth review of newerAndroid TV Boxes
I recently picked upwards a
G-Box Midnight MX2 Android iv.ii Jelly Bean Dual Core XBMC Streaming Mini HTPC Television receiver Box Player
(herein referred to every bit the MX2 for brevity). This is small box about the size of a few packs of cigarettes. The purpose for getting this box is to
turn whatsoever Television set into an Net connected a SMART Television set
, neither of my televisions equally smartTV’south so this works well.
This box is running the Android O/Due south version 4.22, so basically any application that runs on this Os is available from the market and can be installed on this box. It has built in WIFI so you just plug it into your Television set via HDMI (or analog cables) and then you can connect it to your home’s WIFI network and brainstorm streaming content from pop services similar YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Arguably the main reason this box is pop is because it comes with XBMC installed. For those not familiar
is an open-source video/music and home theater
software that offers a vast array of functionality peculiarly through add-ons. Information technology offers a polished big-screen U/I and tin pull content from many sources.
|CPU||Dual Core A9 CPU|
|Graphics||Mali400 Dual Core 3D GPU|
|Bone||Android iv.22 (updated OTA regularly)|
|Firmware||Matricom 1.2 XBMC Gotham 13.2|
|Video Out||1280 ten 720p (*1080p decoded videos are scaled to 720p in XBMC.)|
|Ports||HDMI out ; Analog out ; 4x USB ports; 1x SD port ; 1x SPIDF|
|Radios||WIFI B/G/N and Bluetooth 4.0|
|Remote||Yes – basic remote included|
Unpack plug the ability into the Ac and plug a standard HDMI from the MX2 to your TV and turn it on. Use the supplied remote to follow a brief on-screen setup (such as connecting to your home network via WIFI or Ethernet cable), and then you’ll be greated with an pick to choose a launcher (Regular android , a custom 3D launch ** stay away * , or straight into XBMC), I recommend choosing the initial launcher for the first time yo setup your Android accounts and such , and so making your XBMC your main console.
Android on your Television
This is box runs a fairly recent version of android, and then if you lot have an Android phone, you’ll be immediately familiar with the Android apps and interface. The remote command (included), does less than a favorable chore of navigating the Android programs, but at that place are soft remotes (cheque Android market place) that allow you to use your smartphone (i the same network) to control this device.
Additionally the Android marketplace is available, then you can sign up and begin downloading your favorite apps. It uses most of the same Apps as your phone or tablet, very few apps are customized for the Telly.
You tin also browse the web on your TV, using the standard Android Webkit browser included, plus you tin sync all your bookmarks and other useful information if you accept other android devices or accounts.
While your inteh android side, check the OTA application to load the latest verison of the MX2 firmware forth with whatsoever updates.
Netflix, YouTube, etc.
Out of the box the Android NEtflix and Yourtube apps are supplied and serve equally your main points to accessing content from those sources. Its a little frustrating the first fourth dimension you run it because of the Android 4.ii hints appear overlayed onto the screen and getting them to go took me a scrap. Once that was completed, both apps worked prettym much identically to the Android phone cousins.
What’s so great about XBMC?
The main purpose as I mentioned above for purchase of this box is that XBMC is already installed and prepare to become. XBMC originally started every bit an alternate firmware (ROM) for the former archetype XBOX systems but has since been ported to just about every calculating platform (PC, MAC, Android , Linux etc…) ,which partly the reason information technology’s getting its
proper noun changed to Kodi .
Typically enthusiasts wanting XBMC for a HTPC (home theater PC) would install information technology on a rooted Apple TV considering of its minor footprint and no noise nature. Only one had to bargain with the technical details of rooting sure versions of Apple Telly’s and getting XBMC to piece of work on it ,because XBMC is already pre-installed on this device, is setup and ready to go out of the box..
XBMC is a pretty multi feature video stream/histrion awarding allowing you to stream UPnP (DLNA) files from other servers, stream music from the network, view pictures, and if you lot had a TV tuner stick (USB ones are bachelor) watch and record Live OTA goggle box.
1 reason for its (XBMC) popularity is that is allows all blazon of Add-ons (call up of them as XBMC apps) to be installed. These add-ons both for Video,Sound and misc. programs (like Television receiver guides, games etc) add together extra functionality to your xBMC setup. There’s no official store, but the Get Addons… choice allows you to install a big number of pre-installed improver content sources. Using massive repo libraries like
superrepoorg. you can get most of the Addons in one shot..
Its no surprise a lot of the add-ons are for underground (illicit ) sources of content, such every bit 1channel, sports.pl (live sports), icefilms, developed channels etc, basically anything people may be interested is at that place. In improver to these at that place’s a who assortment of more mainstream sources such as PBS, TED Talks, Discovery , VEVO (music videos), ESPN video, plus many many more.. Y’all can save yourself a bit of problem and just download one,300 addons from
superrepo.org . Go there to get instructions on how to get these add-ons for your box.
In one case the sources (Add-Ons) are installed and upwardly and running you lot can simply use the XBMC card organisation to navigate amongst them and begin playing.
- Small and quiet: Its a five″x5″x2″ in size and no noise (no fans) so its very convenient to plut next to your TV set.
- XMBC pre-installed: Every bit mentioned in a higher place this software gives this box its powerhouse kick with its many add ons and features
- Wifi and Ports: This little box has plenty of USB ports that allow you lot to connect all sorts of stuff to information technology , such as HDMI, analog, USB Tuner cards, joysticks, keyboards ,USB sticks..etc.
While the unit of measurement arrived new, and it was just a matter of taking it out of the box and plugging it in,I did have a few initial problems.
- Version 1.16 of the G-Box MX2 firmware didn’t display video correctly (sound only no video for add-ons), this was a common trouble listed in the forums, solution here was to download the update and manually (not using the built in OTA updater) update it, something equally important as getting video to appear is disappointing, even though a quick fix was available, whatsoever non-technical person would accept run into problem.
- XBMC on Android is at best a work in progress, past this i hateful the stability of the software on ARM scrap-sets, is still not 100% in the stability section. You will old get frustrated by lock ups or other times information technology volition but reboot XBMC. Information technology happens about 10-15% of the time, XBMC on android is still a fairly recent development , dissimilar the existing PC platforms, and then in that location’s still some growing pains… non-PC platforms (including Apple tree Television receiver have this outcome)
- More than MX2 specific apps: There are nevertheless many points when you are dropped into the Android settings or programs when you lot desire to make MX2 specific changes. The changes from the more polished XBMC interface to raw Android can exist jarring, a more than unified launcher and interface would help.
- Less official content, dissimilar an Xbox or PS4 there’s no official market, as mentioned above, many of the Add-on sources are from underground sources, which means that they may exist hither today gone tomorrow..
- Remote Control: offers basic functions, but not all the keys correspond correctly to the on-screen menus and sometimes appears unresponsive.
If yous take a HDTV and its non a SmartTV( not internet ready) , definitely become out and go this box, information technology volition open up a whole new globe to y’all in terms of content and Internet functionality for your big screen. If you already have a big screen Goggle box still consider this box as it may offering enough compelling features to keep you interested. Exist prepared to deal with some growing pains in the stability department, merely for the toll ( < $90 on amazon) its worth the cost and patience.